Can children visit The Bear Grylls Adventure?
- We recommend The Bear Grylls Adventure for Adventurers aged 15 years and above as we’re challenging our visitors to test their limits. The absolute minimum age we have to enforce due to health and safety restrictions is 11, and 12 for our diving experience. Find an overview on our restrictions here.
Will I need to sign any sort of waiver before taking part in experiences?
- Yes - every visitor taking part in any of our experiences will be required to sign a waiver. This can be done either as part of the online booking process or when guests arrive on site. Find out more here.
If I change my mind, including when I arrive, can I cancel and get my money back?
- Unfortunately, as this is a pre-booked experience with very limited access and many of the activities are subject to health and safety waivers, we're not able to give refunds except in very special circumstances. We ask all those booking tickets to check the website for details of restrictions or waivers so that you can be clear on what each experience involves. No refunds will be available.
Do I need to bring any special footwear/ clothing?
- We strongly recommend that all adventurers come in sensible footwear and comfortable, robust clothing for example, lace up trainers, no ‘loose’ clothing that could get caught up. Find out more details in our “What to wear?” section. Some of our adventures call for specialist equipment, this is provided by us and fitted by our expert team of instructors.
Can I stop an activity if it’s too much for me?
- Every activity is designed to test your limits and to challenge our Adventurers. However, there are various levels of difficulty built in to each of our activities, and there’s certainly always the opportunity to duck out. Our crew will be nearby at all times, so just chat to your adventure guide about any concerns with any of the challenges.
Can I park at The Bear Grylls Adventure?
- All our Adventurers benefit from a reduced car park rate of £2 for the first hour and £1 every hour after that, at our East 5 car park at the NEC. We validate tokens at admissions, our info desk and in our retail shop.
Can I change into my sports clothes at The Bear Grylls Adventure?
- We've got dedicated changing facilities for Dive and Snorkel. For all other activities we ask our visitors to come adventure ready. Alternatively, bathrooms can be used to get changed.
Can I film in the Bear Grylls Adventure?
Please be aware that if you appear to be taking photographs on site for anything other than personal purposes, one of our guests experience team or security staff may approach and speak to you to ascertain your intentions. If it transpires you are filming or taking photographs for commercial or editorial purposes without written permission, we reserve the right to ask you to stop and we will inform you of the appropriate channels of communication.
Booking and Pricing:
Do I have to pre-book all experiences or can I decide on the day?
- All tickets must be pre-booked. There will only be a limited number of walk-in tickets, as we want to avoid queues.
- However, if there are empty spaces on any of the Hero Activities these may be booked on the day as long as guests fulfil all the health and safety requirements. All bookings are subject to availability, change or cancellation.
How much does it cost to visit?
- All tickets must be pre-booked. Tickets are due to go live within the next couple of days.
What about child tickets?
- There is no child ticket price. The minimum visitor age is 11 and every Adventurer will pay the same price. Please make sure to read through our age, height and weight restrictions before booking your adventure.
I am a Merlin Annual Pass Holder - will the Bear Grylls Adventure be included in my Pass?
- The Bear Grylls Adventure will not be included as part of the Merlin Annual Pass offer. However, however we are pleased to be able to offer Standard and Premium Annual Passholders a 25% discount, and VIP Merlin Annual Passholders a 50% discount.
- Pass holders should note that they need to book in advance in the same way as any other visitors, as there is limited access to some experiences to ensure visitor experience and safety.
Are there any special rates for disabled or other groups?
- We don’t offer any special rates for Adventurers with disabilities; however we do offer a free carer ticket, which will be available when registering with our Adventure Planners. Find out more details here.
With there be any special rates/discounts for larger group – say 10 or more individuals?
- Yes, we offer a 10 % discount if your team exceeds 10 visitors.
With groups of young people visiting, is adult supervision required, or can groups of teens, for example, come alone? What is the minimum age will you accept unaccompanied groups?
- The minimum age for unsupervised groups is 16 years. Anyone in a group who is under the age of 18 will also need a parent or guardian's permission including a signed waiver. You’re required to present a valid ID at any time as a proof of age.
How long will the Assault Course take to complete?
- Some Adventurers will be quicker than others, but we estimate that completing the course should take around 20 minutes. You will set off in a group (each group with a maximum of 16 people).
Do I have to have any instruction?
- Yes, all those going on the Assault Course must attend the briefing, where you'll be given the tips you need to successfully complete the course. Also there is encouragement and coaching from our Adventure Guides along the way.
Are there any mud or water obstacles?
- No, all the obstacles are ‘dry’ so that visitors do not have to worry about special clothing.
Do I need any equipment?
- No, special equipment is not needed. Your own robust leisure clothing and sensible footwear (lace up trainers) is all you need.
How much is the Assault Course?
- The price is included in your Basecamp ticket, which also includes access to all other Basecamp activities - a selection of mental, physical, group and individual challenges all designed to help you learn the core skills that you need for any great adventure. This overall 90-minute Basecamp experience is available for £20.
How accessible is the Assault Course?
- Because it is part of Basecamp and each of the obstacles can be accessed individually, much of the course is accessible to most levels of fitness and different abilities. If you discuss your concerns with our team they will be able to advise you. Find out more on our accessibility page.
Basecamp: Break Out – Escape rooms!
What is Break Out?
- Break Out is an escape room experience. You'll enter a room and will be tasked with escaping in a given time – using your skill and ingenuity to work out the escape route.
Do I do the Escape room experience on my own?
- No – Escapees go in groups – so you will have others in your Basecamp group to share the problem solving with.
What if I get stuck and can’t get out?
- Should you be unable to solve the escape room challenge you will be ‘rescued’ in due course.
What if I get panicked and have to get out?
- Our Basecamp Adventure Guides will always be close by to assist you.
How much is Break Out?
- Break Out is part of your Basecamp ticket – there is no additional charge. Your Basecamp ticket also includes access to all other Basecamp activities - a selection of mental, physical, group and individual challenges all designed to help you learn the core skills that you need for any great adventure. The overall 90-minute Basecamp experience is available for £20.
Basecamp: Survival – Maze
Do I have to do it on my own?
- No, you will be in a group of up to 16 adventurers.
What if I panic? Can you get me out?
- Our Basecamp Adventure Guides will always be close by to assist you.
Do I have to do all the whole Survival Maze?
- You will not know what is coming next, so it is not possible to choose which parts of the Maze you complete. However, should you need to leave at any point, a member of the team will be on hand to assist you. There are bypass paths if you need to skip a single element of the maze.
How much does it cost?
- Survival Maze is included in your Basecamp ticket – there is no additional charge. Your Basecamp ticket also includes access to all other Basecamp activities - a selection of mental, physical, group and individual challenges all designed to help you learn the core skills that you need for any great adventure. The overall 90-minute Basecamp experience is available for £20.
Are there real animals in the Survival - Maze?
- You may have close encounters with some creatures during your time in the Maze. However, you will be closely supervised for your safety and creatures will stay in their terrarium.
How much is Archery?
- Archery is part of the Basecamp experience and is included in your ticket price with no additional cost. Your Basecamp ticket also includes access to all other Basecamp activities - a selection of mental, physical, group and individual challenges all designed to help you learn the core skills that you need for any great adventure. The overall 90-minute Basecamp experience is available for £20.
What is the Archery set up?
- The Archery activity is all about learning to use a bow and arrow and aim at traditional archery targets in our specially designed archery lanes.
How good a swimmer do I need to be to take part in either the sub aqua or snorkel experiences?
- Guests don’t need to have any swimming skills to take part in the sub aqua DIVE experience; or snorkeling experience, but should feel comfortable in and under water.
How long is the Dive experience?
- In total the full sub aqua experience takes approximately two hours - including the pre-briefing session, practical skills training and a full 20 minutes dive.
What do I wear to do one of the DIVE experiences /what do I have to bring - just a swimsuit?
- Each diver will be fitted with relevant diving and safety equipment including wetsuits, masks, BCD’s, regulators and weights, but you’re required to bring your own swimming costume and towel.
Will I be able to take photographs in the experiences?
- No. But we will have photographers on hand to capture great images and video of you to take home as a lasting memory of the experience so that you can focus on enjoying yourself!
Will my family or group be able to watch me doing the dive/other experiences?
- There will be great viewing areas to help make your day unforgettable. Please make sure to buy a spectator ticket online for everyone who’d like to watch and not participate in this activity.
Can I do both the sub aqua dive and the snorkel?
- Yes, but you would have to book for each separately.
What creatures exactly will there be in the tank?
- You will encounter ocean marine life of all sorts, including black tipped reef sharks, cow-nosed rays and a variety of other colourful tropical marine species.
How many fish?
- The tank holds approximately 800 creatures including around a dozen sharks and rays!
How dangerous are the sharks, rays and other creatures in the diving experience?
- Visitors are not in danger from the creatures - which are all well-established aquarium species. We have many years’ experience in breeding, caring for, and interacting with all these species within our SEA LIFE Aquariums around the world. Every diver will be accompanied by an expert who is there to protect both the diver and the creatures.
Will I be able to touch the creatures?
- No, we ask our adventurers to refrain from touching any animals. While the resident creatures will quickly become accustomed to the presence of divers including, in some cases, becoming confident enough to come very close to our dive groups, our objective is always to first keep their behaviour as natural as possible, and to avoid accidental injury to any creature. We will not be permitting any touching or handling of them.
How many people can use the Climb at one time?
- Approximately 48 people can go through Climb each hour to experience our climbing walls.
What assistance is on hand for climbers?
- Each group will be accompanied by one or more adventure guides. Guides will ensure that all guests have properly fitted harnesses, are fully briefed and are on hand at all times to monitor and instruct.
Will I need special equipment?
- No special equipment is required – harnesses will be provided. Suitable footwear, such as lace up trainers, should be worn.
iFLY - indoor free fall experience
How long will I be in iFLY?
- Including pre-flight briefing and post experience debrief, visitors will be in the Fly area for 90 minutes. The actual time in the tunnel is equal to two full skydiving experiences.
What assistance is on hand for skydivers?
- Qualified ‘Jump Instructors’ are on hand to assist skydivers throughout the experience. The flight team is there to help fit jumpsuits, goggles, and other required equipment, accompany skydivers through the briefing and coaching guests on a 1 to 1 basis in the wind tunnel and to ensure the safety of guests and adherence to procedures.
How long does the High Ropes experience take?
- To complete the challenges can take around an hour to 90 min, although because of the demanding conditions, visitors can short-cut and take a quicker route. You can choose the route you want to take. The High Ropes experience does call for stamina and dexterity– and you may want to save some of the exercises for your next visit! High ‘ropers’ can stop at any point and do not need to complete if they become tired/fatigued.
What happens if I get vertigo or get stuck high up on the High Ropes?
- There will always be team members monitoring visitors progress and ready to respond if a visitor has an issue with the height or needs to evacuate the experience. A call out will always receive immediate response.